If you have a DRS enabled cluster in Virtual Infrastructure you might not want certain virtual machines to ever run on the same ESX host.Â They might have certain disk I/O or network behaviors you want separated, or it might just be a case of uptime robustness you want like in the case of multiple web servers.
Here is how you can ensure selected virtual machines will never run on the same host-
- Right-click on your cluster in VI client, select Edit Settings…
- In the wizard, on the left select Rules
- On the right, click Add…
- Provide a name (like www-separate)
- For Type select Separate Virtual Machines
- Click Add…
- Check off the VMs you want to stay separated.