VMworld 2007 has come and gone, but if you missed it, many of the sessions have been made public. Session BC23, titled Bulletproof VirtualCenter – A Guide to Protecting VirtualCenter is viewable online complete with screencast, audio (mp3) and pdf document.
This session helps experienced VMware Infrastructure administrators prevent significant outages caused by VirtualCenter failures. The session contents have been time tested by VMware professional services on many projects. The session covers the following:
- Importance of the VirtualCenter server for the Virtual Infrastructure and the impact of its complete or partial failure
- Best practices for the implementation of high availability solutions
- Use cases are based on VMware HA and Microsoft clustering technologies
- An additional highlight here is the usage of the VirtualCenter server for implementation of the DR solutions
- Recovery procedures, necessary to quickly restore the functionality of the VirtualCenter server and its components. Among the addressed failure scenarios are redeployment of VirtualCenter and the restart of VirtualCenter agents.
- Monitoring of VirtualCenter itself and its components