vmnetcfg.exe is required when you want to configure multiple network interfaces on the same machine. It is a virtual network editor. An example would be a wired connection and another which is wireless.
Where is vmnetcfg.exe located?
VMware Player 14 doesn’t contain vmnetcfg.exe. You need to extract it from the VMware Workstation 14 full version.
- Extract the MSI from the VMware-workstation-full-14*.exe
- In a command prompt, launch the .exe file.
- When you see the first prompt do not click anything in this window and do not close it.
- Open Windows Explorer, type %temp% in the address bar, and press Enter.
- Sort the files in the folder by the modification date. The newest file on the list should be the .msi file you are looking for.
- Copy the MSI file to a safe location before you close the .exe or window.
Secondly extract workstation.cab from this MSI using 7zip:
- Right-click on the .MSI file and from the shortcut menu choose 7-Zip > Open Archive.
- Extract Workstation.cab
- Copy the vmnetcfg.exe and place it into your VMware player installation folder. (C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player)
VMware still hasn’t fixed this, as recently as version 7.x